Oh. MY. GOODNESS..
Saying these are good, doesn’t come close to doing them justice. They are amazing. And occasionally I come up with clean eating baked recipes that are good out of the oven and then just okay cold. These are AMAZING cold. They are so moist and full of spicy sweet fall flavor.
And let me tell you, I do not care if it is fall. I will be stocking up on canned pumpkin so I can eat these year round.
These also freeze well so you can make a big batch and freeze them for a quick clean breakfast on the go.
2 cups whole wheat PASTRY flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (or leave it out if on a low sodium diet – it still tastes fantastic)
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger (the spice – not fresh)
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoon ground flax seed whisked with 6 tablespoons of water (or 2 eggs)
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/3 cup apple sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or clean oil of choice)
3/4 cup PURE MAPLE SYRUP (Do not use fake syrup)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup sliced raw almonds
1/3 cup chopped raw walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep 12 cup muffin pan. (I exclusively use Pampered Chef’s stone pan so I do not need to spray mine but most pans would need to be sprayed with oil or use a muffin liner.)
1. In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients pastry flour – spices (not flax seed though)
2. In smaller bowl, mix flax seed mixture (or eggs if using) with milk, apple sauce, oil, vanilla, syrup, and pumpkin.
3. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. (Don’t over stir).
4. Add Walnuts, almonds and raisins.
5. Use a large cookie scoop to distribute dough into muffin pan.
6. Sprinkle pepitas on top of muffins.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
NOTE on ingredients. I purchase maple syrup at costco. It is around $13 and worth ever penny for the 33 oz bottle. Ground flax seed is also available at costco. It is a great egg substitute or can be added to just about anything. Flax seed has all kinds of benefits. Whole wheat pastry flour, nuts, raisins and pepitas can all be found in the bulk section at WInco. You will save so much money if you buy them this way!